- Time is More Valuable than Money - Be a Proactive DBA! [Part II]
Nov 01, 2014 05:45 PM
This article focuses on the importance of tempdb considerations as the performance impact of not getting them right can cause significant gain points which could have been avoided or set right in the first place...
- Database Migration Comes in All Shapes and Sizes
Oct 01, 2014 10:15 AM
In this article, SAP ASE Specialist, Cory Sane, walks us through the actual step-by-step database migration approach his team used in meeting their migration goals with great success...
- Planning for an Upgrade
Oct 01, 2014 09:45 AM
Life as a DBA is tough, often thankless, always challenging and rarely without too many dull moments – and we have to juggle the business needs of real users too, who would sign up for a life of change, upgrades and confusion?...
- Back to Basics: Installation and SAP ASE
Sep 01, 2014 11:50 AM
In this article, Alvin Chang with Jeffrey Garbus and Malathy Mani provide an abbreviated discussion of what should be pre-decided when preparing to install a new system. This article assumes that the hardware and operating systems decisions have already been made...
- Time is More Valuable than Money - Be a Proactive DBA! [Part I]
Jul 31, 2014 11:16 PM
This article takes a detailed look at query tuning and server configurations from post upgrade/migration perspective...
- Reviewing sp_sysmon Output: Other sp_sysmon Tricks
Jul 01, 2014 05:50 PM
This article takes a detailed look at the output of sp_sysmon in order to show you some useful tricks that you can use to assist you with your tuning tasks...
- SAP ASE 16 : A Tale of Two Encryptions
Jun 01, 2014 04:35 PM
In this article, Jeff Tallman discusses differences between encrypted columns and full database encryption, provides the good/bad and ugly about choosing one over the other, and clarifies why the docs suggests that full database encryption should be used over column encryption for range scans...
- Upgrading SAP ASE
Jun 01, 2014 01:50 PM
Two steps forward, one step back. Sometimes embracing change reminds us that while we need not fear it, we do need to assure ourselves that the change will be positive...
- Using MDA Tables in SAP ASE
May 01, 2014 11:05 AM
MDA Tables were introduced in ASE 188.8.131.52 – But why are they still not popular? In this article, we'll explore MDA Tables and see how they can be used as valuable tool for better troubleshooting...
- An Overview of SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise 16
Apr 01, 2014 03:45 PM
SAP has provided an overview of the main features in SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) 16 and users will notice scale, speed, simplicity and security for extreme transactional workloads as key and prominent elements of this release. ISUG-TECH provides you with a distilled overview of SAP ASE 16...
- Reviewing sp_sysmon Output: Cache Configuration
Apr 01, 2014 02:35 PM
This article discusses cache configuration and examines the output of the sp_sysmon stored procedure...
- Views in SAP ASE
Mar 01, 2014 07:20 PM
In this article, Lyle Fernquist along with Jeff Garbus and Alvin Chang discuss how you can create a View to restrict access to certain sensitive pieces of data. This article also provides tips on how NOT to create a View...
- SAP ASE: Reorg for Operational Scalability
Feb 02, 2014 12:00 PM
This article discusses the SAP ASE reorg techniques that can be employed in order to reclaim fragmented table space...
- Thresholds in SAP ASE
Feb 02, 2014 10:40 AM
In this article, Alvin Chang along with Jeff Garbus and Lyle Fernquist discuss the importance of thresholds and how to configure them so that you can maintain a smooth operating database...
- Reviewing sp_sysmon Output: Task Context Switches
Jan 01, 2014 03:55 PM
As part of a balanced tuning approach, this article takes a look at task context switches, and examines the output of the sp_sysmon stored procedure...
- Storage Optimization and Operational Scalability
Jan 01, 2014 01:35 PM
This article discusses the storage optimization and operational scalability features that SAP Sybase ASE has introduced in version 15.7 SP100...
- Reporting on SAP Sybase ASE Space Usage
Nov 01, 2013 10:20 AM
In this article, Curtis Heinrichs, an SAP Sybase ASE database expert, provides us with some interesting ways in which data can be collected and some easier ways to perform certain reporting tasks...
- Keeping Your Balance
Nov 01, 2013 08:30 AM
In this article, Lyle Fernquist along with Jeff Garbus and Alvin Chang provide some tips to help the Great DBA strike a balance within his/her career field and an overall balance of life and work...
- SAP Sybase ASE: Shrinking a Database for Storage Optimization
Oct 01, 2013 10:05 AM
This article discusses the SAP Sybase ASE database shrinking techniques that can be employed to provide efficient data handling for better query performance and improved cost of operations...
- The Great DBA Series : The Advocate
Oct 01, 2013 09:55 AM
In this article, Alvin Chang along with Jeff Garbus and Lyle Fernquist discuss common questions DBA's are asked and then look at numerous ways in which a DBA can maintain and protect their system...
- The Great DBA Series: The Dynamic DBA's Disposition
Sep 01, 2013 07:20 AM
- The Great DBA Series: Integrity
Aug 01, 2013 07:20 AM
- What's New in SAP Sybase ASE 15.7 SP100 [Part 2]
Jul 01, 2013 07:10 AM
- Transaction Log Management
Jul 01, 2013 07:05 AM
- What's New in SAP Sybase ASE 15.7 SP100 [Part 1]
Jun 01, 2013 06:45 AM
- Great DBA Series – Keeping Statistics up to Date
Jun 01, 2013 05:35 AM
- A Brief History of SQL
May 01, 2013 05:45 AM
- SAP Sybase ASE - Keeping Private Data Private
May 01, 2013 05:25 AM
- Disaster Recovery [Part 2]
Apr 05, 2013 08:08 AM
- SAP Sybase ASE 15.7 ESD#2 – Separation of Duties
Apr 05, 2013 08:03 AM
- Disaster Recovery [Part 1]
Mar 05, 2013 09:10 AM
- The Great DBA Series [Part 2]
Feb 04, 2013 09:15 AM
- The Great DBA Series [Part 1]
Jan 02, 2013 06:30 PM
- Hybrid-threaded Kernel Delivers Performance and Scalability
Nov 01, 2012 07:15 PM
- What's New in ASE 15.7 ESD#2
Sep 04, 2012 07:55 AM
- Digging Deeper for ASE Artistry
Sep 03, 2012 06:50 PM
- Size Does Matter: Network Packet Envy for the Modern Age
May 15, 2009 01:25 PM
- Boosting Database Performance & Easing Maintenance Tasks with Partitioning in ASE 15
May 15, 2009 06:35 AM
Click here to visit this blog's home page
Back to top